Prof. dr hab. Kazimierz Szebiotko
Rector of the Agricultural University of Poznań
Kazimierz Szebiotko was born on 14 November 1921. He completed his studies at the Faculty of Agronomy and Forestry of the Poznań University in 1949, receiving his specialisation under the supervision of Professor Janicki, of whom he remained a faithful disciple and friend. In 1973 he received the title of professor and in 1982 he received the title of full professor.
Among the extensive body of research problems investigated by Professor Szebiotko three major thematic groups may be distinguished, having considerable economic importance. The first area concerns the use of raw material rich in cellulose in protein biosynthesis. Industrial wastes are substrates for the production of biomass of unicellular organisms rich in proteins. This group includes also the production method of high protein feed for pigs based on potato and cereal mashes, implemented in practice. The second group of problems, thanks to which Professor Szebiotko became known as a scientist not only in Poland, but also worldwide, comprises his studies on mycotoxins in cereals, improvement of their detection methods and detoxication techniques. Thanks to serious theoretical aspects of these studies, the research centre in Poznań became a leading centre in this field on an international scale. The third group, practically interconnected with the previous two, concerns presentation of new methods and improvement of technological processes currently used in processing of various raw materials and by-products for human and animal nutrition purposes.
During his over 40-year long scientific activity Professor Szebiotko showed extensive research interests and cooperated with numerous scientists and institutions. He organised teams of specialists from different disciplines of science to work on individual research projects at his Department. These teams comprised e.g. technologists, chemists, biochemists, nutrition science specialists, microbiologists or economists.
The huge body of publications by Professor Szebiotko, published in journals of international renown, presents results of many other studies, frequently conducted in within the framework of international cooperation and government-commissioned projects. Cooperation with research centres in Poland and abroad is another field in the extensive activity of Kazimierz Szebiotko. It was made possible thanks to the numerous long- and short-term stays and scientific trips to many state-of-the-art laboratories worldwide, personal contacts with scientists, active participation and papers delivered at many congresses and scientific symposiums, as well as membership and important functions served in many scientific associations.
Major functions at the University:
- Organiser and for many years the director of the Institute of Technology of Plant Origin Food,
- 1984—1988 Rector of the Agricultural University of Poznań.
Major functions outside the University:
- Participation in works of the Scientific and Technological Council at the Minister of Food Industry and Trade and at the Minister of Agriculture and Food Economy,
- Chairman of the committee for the development of PR-4 governmental programme for the production and use of proteins - he organised a Polish—French symposium on the subject,
- Member of scientific councils of many industrial research institutes and central laboratories,
- Cooperation with international organisations, e.g. FAO and IAU,
- Member of the Committee for Food Technology and Chemistry PAS.
AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
- Professor Szebiotko received many state distinctions, decorations, medals and awards.
- Professor dr hab. Kazimierz Szebiotko retired in 1992.
The Jubilee book of the Faculty of Food Technology – From the Department of Agricultural Technology of the University of Poznań to the Faculty of Food Technology of the Agricultural University. Poznań 1994.